It is exciting to see increased discussion of golf course architecture on Golf Channel and other televised golf coverage, with Matt Ginella and Geoff Shackelford leading the way. Perhaps some day, we will see the GCA show I argued for in this previous post – The Art of Course.
In the meantime, this video link archive has been created to be a resource for all those who want in-depth exploration of golf courses, architecture and history. Many thanks to my collaborator Kyle Truax (on Twitter @TheTruArchitect) for his extensive contributions to this archive. Check back regularly for updates, and see below for Kyle’s own video series TruAxioms.
A few words about the format and structure of the archive: Wherever possible, a YouTube playlist has been created for each subject, and can be played right from this page. Links to videos from sources other than YouTube have also been provided, with hyperlinks in the video titles.
With proliferation of GCA-related videos, the original single page format was getting to be a bit unruly. I split the archive into three parts, in addition to this index page, which will still include the video links for the current year’s Major Championship venues.
This page features course-specific videos. A great resource for course research.
- See the Americas Course videos here...
- See the Europe Course videos here…
- See the Australia & Asia Course here…
GOLF COURSE ARCHITECTS
This page features architect interviews, presentations, etc. that are not course specific to a single course. See the Architect videos here…
This page features the Golf Channel architecture features, as well as videos from other commentators and architecture enthusiasts. See the Commentators videos here…
If you have any clips to add, please feel free to tweet them me at @JasonWay1493 or leave them here in the comments. Enjoy!
MAJOR CHAMPIONSHIP VENUES of 2018
THE MASTERS – Augusta National GC
- Hole Flyovers and photo gallery from Masters.com:
- History of the Jones-Mackenzie friendship with Matt Ginella on Golf Channel
- Geoff Shackelford on the design genius of Augusta on Morning Drive
- Ben Crenshaw talking ANGC on Feherty on Golf Channel
- John Cook breaks down the 10th hole on Morning Drive
- Breakdown of 10th, 11th, and 14th with Cook and DiMarco on Golf Channel
- History of the 15th with Gary Williams on Morning Drive
- History of the 16th with Damon Hack on Morning Drive
- Discussion of finishing holes with Isenhour, Oberholser, and Burr on Golf Channel
- Breakdown of the par 3s with David Duval on Golf Channel
- Key holes on the front nine with John Cook on Morning Drive
- Holes to watch on the front nine with Geoff Shackelford on Golf Channel
- Holes to watch on the second nine with Geoff Shackelford on Golf Channel
- Key holes on the back nine with John Cook on Morning Drive
- Phil Mickelson on how Augusta favors lefties with Feherty on Golf Channel
- Mastering the Masters: ANGC tips with Chris DiMarco on Golf Channel
- Matt Ginella’s tips for Masters patrons on Golf Channel
- Nicklaus’s first Masters from Jack on Golf Channel
THE U.S. OPEN – Shinnecock Hills GC
(Host: 2018, 2004, 1995, 1986, 1896)
- John Feinstein commentary on the 2004 U.S. Open on Golf Channel
THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP – Carnoustie Golf Links
(Host: 2018, 2007, 1999, 1975, 1968, 1953, 1937, 1931)
- 2007 Open: Harrington tops Garcia on Golf Channel
PGA CHAMPIONSHIP – Bellerive CC
Copyright 2017 – Jason Way, GeekedOnGolf